A little off the beaten path, this Bon Jovi fan fiction features a lesser known Bongiovi - Tony. As always, no disrespect is intended to anyone affiliated with Bon Jovi or any of their family members. All content in this blog is a work of complete fiction.

Sunday, February 10, 2013

46 - The Lunch Bunch


“Stop,” Tony ordered with a gentle squeeze of her hand as they exited the elevator.  She may not know what was going on in his head or his true ‘feelings’ for her, but she took pleasure in the way he always reached for her hand when they went out together. 

Lilah’s untethered hair slid sideways across her shoulders when she tipped her face up to his.  “Stop what?”

Holding the door to the restaurant, he quirked that left eyebrow at her.  The one that he used to call her bluffs.  “Stop stressing.  This isn’t the Spanish Inquisition, it’s just lunch.”

That remains to be seen.

“I know,” she agreed sunnily, smiling her thanks as she slid by him.  “And I really enjoyed my lunch here yesterday.  I’m cravin’ another one of those turkey sandwiches.”

“You’re a lousy liar.”  He spoke under his breath in deference to the restaurant’s subdued atmosphere – and their proximity to Jon and Dorothea. 

The other couple was already seated at a table in a sunny corner by the window.  Jon had his back to the room while Dorothea sat facing it, mouth curled up in a tight semblance of a smile.  Their positions at the table meant that Lilah and Tony would also be sitting across from one another, and that Lilah would be sitting beside Jon.

This is gonna be a hoot.  I can just tell.

“Hi guys,” the Queen of New Jersey welcomed affably.

Releasing hands, Tony and Lilah parted to take their chairs on opposite sides of the table.  Before Tony sat, he bent to brush a kiss against Dorothea’s cheek.  “Hey.”  Turning to include his brother in the greeting, he added, “How’s it going?”

“Good, man,” Jon returned before swiveling his head and greeting her personally.  “Lilah.”

Sliding into her seat with a vague smile, Lilah pulled at the hem of her sunshine-yellow top with a demure, “Hello, Mr. Bongiovi.  Dorothea, it’s nice to see you again.”

“It’s good to see you, too.  But you don’t need to call him Mister.  He’s just Jon.  Isn’t that right, honey?”

It could very well have been Lilah’s sexually overcharged imagination, but she could swear a heated look passed between husband and wife before Jon responded. 

“Yeah, of course.  No need for formalities.”

The waitress came and, as they perused their menus and engaged in mundane chitchat, it felt a lot like the Bongiovi version of the polite game.  Lilah didn’t care for it much more with them than she did with Joanna.  It was all she could do to tolerate it and keep up her end of the politeness until they got their drinks and submitted their lunch orders. 

The awkwardness had nothing to do with Dorothea or Tony, seeing as she had shared amicable meals with both of them.  It had any and everything to do with Jon and the way he kept sneaking glances at her – or rather her neck, since he was seated on her right.  Curiosity practically vibrated from him, which she supposed she should consider a welcome relief from hostility.  Regardless, she wanted it to go away.

With that goal foremost in her mind, Lilah took the bull very gently by the horns and met Jon’s eyes when asking, “You seem to be interested in my scars.  Did Tony tell you how I got them?”

“No.”

Her eyes skated to Tony, silently asking why.  When he finished his swallow of coffee, he said simply, “You carry the scars.  You decide who gets to know why.”

It would have been easier if he had told Jon, but the thoughtful consideration was one more reason to be in awe of the darkly handsome man seated across from her.  “Thank you,” she said, willing her heart to deflate enough to fit the confines of her ribcage before turning to the older of the brothers.  “Are you interested in knowing?”

“Lilah,” Dorothea interjected.  “You don’t have to, if you don’t want to.”

Keeping her focus on the Bon Jovi front man, she assured his wife, “I think I’d like him to rest assured that I was a victim, not an executioner.”

He had the good grace to look pained at the veiled reference to his insinuation that she killed Amos – pained enough to eat away a touch of her bitterness.  She’d been striving to keep her tone either amicable or neutral and now it wasn’t quite so much of an effort.

“Oh, I’m sure he didn’t – “

“Yes, he did,” Lilah quietly interrupted Dorothea, Jon’s accusation still quite vivid in her mind.  She smirked wryly at him, knowing that they were on the same page.  “But I didn’t kill my husband, Jon.”

“Then who did?”

“That would be his mistress.  The same woman who tried to kill me.”

Dorothea’s quietly indrawn breath coincided with Jon’s uncomfortable shifting in his seat.  He suddenly found his silverware to be utterly fascinating, and Lilah liked to think he looked a little bit ashamed.  Embarrassed, at a minimum. 

Whatever his state of mind, he still managed to ask, “Why?”

“Bluegrass, you don’t have to do this.”

“It’s okay,” she reassured Tony.  “If he doesn’t like me, at least I know it’s because of me and not some vague detective’s report.”  She pushed forward, not allowing anyone the time to comment on that remark.  “My husband got tired of being a grownup, I guess.  House payments, car payments and yard work weren’t as much fun as poppin’ pills and gettin’ high, and I’m not as young or pretty as his mistress.  Trouble was, he didn’t wanna be grown up enough to ask for a divorce, either, and that made her mad enough to take matters into her own hands.”

Lilah's mouth was inexplicably dry and she stole a moment to wet it from the water glass sitting on the white linen tablecloth, to her right.   Savoring the cool liquid as it sloshed through her mouth, she blotted her lips after swallowing. 

“To make a long story short, she tried to shoot me through the front window of a restaurant.  The scars are glass cuts.”

“What?  Do you have a multi-million dollar life insurance policy?”

Lilah shook her head.  “Just one million, and so did he.  He might not have realized he wasn’t my beneficiary, though.  That money would have all gone to my son.”

“If she wanted him so bad, why’d she kill him?”

Jon’s question was one Lilah had asked herself many times, and there was only one answer she’d been able to come up with.  “Drug users aren’t the clearest thinkers in the world, and I can’t pretend to know what was goin’ through her mind.  Last I heard, she still wasn’t real sure, herself, but I guess she was mad because he made her go through all that and I was still alive.  And mad at me, so she tried to frame me for it.”

“That’s awful,” Dorothea sympathized and genuine remorse was highlighted in every nuance of her facial expression.  “I’m so sorry you had to go through something like that.”

Compelled by that magnetic force that always drew her to him, Lilah delivered her heartfelt response directly to Tony.  “I would say that I am too, but it’s the reason I’m sitting here now.  I find that hard to regret.”

✧✧✧

Tony and Dorothea both looked at Jon expectantly.

“Well?” his brother prompted.  “Do you feel like a total asshole now?”

It was a good thirty minutes of pleasant and seemingly friendly conversation since Lilah shared her revelation, and their plates bore nothing but crumbs.  Citing too much water, she had just excused herself to the ladies’ room, leaving Tony the perfect opening.

Jon planted his coffee cup on the table, a thoughtful frown wrinkling his forehead.  “No.  If you’re waitin’ for me to apologize for being cautious, it ain’t gonna happen.”

“Jesus, you stubborn sonofabitch.  I’m waitin’ for you to apologize for thinking I’m a moron when it comes to people, and to admit Lilah’s not some kind of she-devil.”

“I never said you were a moron when it comes to people.”

“No, you just implied that I think with my dick and am a gullible sap that has no common sense.  I’d like an apology.” 

“You’re a dumbass,” Jon scoffed, swirling the dregs of his coffee in the bottom of his cup.  “I did no such thing.”

“That’s exactly what you did,” Dorothea interjected mildly, admonishing her husband’s denial.  “He deserves the apology.”

“I’m not apologizing for something he thought that I thought, when I never thought it.”  Blue eyes locked on blue.  “And if he tells me he’s gonna take her home after Lisbon, then all of the above applies.”

“What’s it to you if I do?  You’ve spent the last hour with her.  Surely to God you can tell she’s a decent person.”

Big brother wasn’t giving up anything without a fight and ungenerously admitted, “She’s okay, now answer my question.  You’re not thinking about doing something stupid are you?”

Something stupid?  Not likely.  After all, he’d purposefully smothered her declaration of love before it could happen.  Tony might be wrong, but he was pretty sure that’s what Lilah had been going to say last night.  The thought had wigged him out a little, prompting his knee-jerk reaction to jump in before it could happen.  Nothing was more awkward than floundering for an answer to that particular declaration and he had no answer – least-wise no answer that wouldn’t have killed her afterglow buzz.

“No, jerkoff, I’m not thinking about ‘doing something stupid’,” he huffed mildly.  “I like her.  I’m keeping an eye on her.  We’re enjoying one another’s company for as long as the tour lasts.  That’s the full extent of my plans.”

“Tony…”  Now he was on the receiving end of Dorothea’s admonishment.  Turning, he found his sister-in-law’s brown eyes full of skeptical concern.  “Are you sure that’s all there is to it?”

No, he wasn’t sure, but why did he have to be?  He just met her a couple of weeks ago.  Nobody had their future planned out in two weeks’ time.

“That’s all there is today.  I don’t know about tomorrow or the day after that.  I’m just enjoying being with a woman who likes me for me.  Is that a fucking crime?”

Husband and wife were both silent, inspecting him as though they expected his head to explode and an alien to pop out and clear the restaurant with his ray gun, a la “Men in Black”. 

“No,” Dorothea was the first to reassure him, folding her hand over his with a supportive squeeze.  “It’s not a crime at all.  And whether it goes miles further down the road, or ends today, we’ll be whatever you need us to be, because we’re family and we love you.  Isn’t that right, Jon?”

His brother was in no hurry to respond, still inspecting him through eyes slitted with thoughtful speculation.  Eventually though, with only minimal prompting from his better half, he nodded slowly.  “Yeah.  I’m tired of butting heads with you.  If Lilah Bennett makes you feel good, then… let her make you feel good.  Just don’t let her rip your heart out, okay?  Because that will piss me off and then she’ll find out just how much of an asshole I can really be.”

He returned Jon’s lop-sided grin with one of his own and held up a fist.  When the brothers tapped knuckles, Tony drawled, “Don’t worry about my heart.  I think it’s safe.”








14 comments:

  1. “Don’t worry about my heart. I think it’s safe.”

    LOVE that line! Lilah handled herself perfectly! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good start, good start. I am happy how this went.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jon is still being an ass. Just what is his problem? Lilah handled the lunch with grace. Now I'm looking forward to the next chapter which might have some hot Jon sex?

    Yeah, I know it's a Tony story but maybe you can slip it in? LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please see After the Rain for Jon sex. :P

      Delete
    2. I don't see how Jon is being an ass. His not going to change over night. What was he suppose to do, give her a hug? She had an attitude by calling him Mr Bongiovi, you don't think she was being a smart ass with that? she knew what she was doing.

      Delete
    3. Actually, no. I don't think Lilah was being a smart ass by addressing Jon by his name. She was being respectful. Interesting concept, huh?

      Delete
    4. I agree, I think she was being respectful too. She called, Dorothea by her name because they have had a lunch but even on the phone with Jon, she called him Mr Bongiovi, so I don't think she meant any harm in it.

      Delete
  4. I agree with those who say she was just being respectful calling him "Mr. Bongiovi" - that's what I would call him too as a matter of respect. However, I agree with the Anon who originally posted about that in that I don't see Jon as being an ass either.

    He may not be perfectly comfortable with the situation yet (and he DOES owe Tony an apology still) but he is at least apparently giving it an honest try.

    "When the brothers tapped knuckles, Tony drawled, “Don’t worry about my heart. I think it’s safe.”"

    Yeah, I think you're right about that, TBJ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Mr Bongiovi as a dig to Jon too. If it was being respectful, why didn't she respect Dorothea? Address them as Mr and Mrs Bongiovi but the way it was said, Mr Bongiovi, Dorothea. That was a dig to Jon. I like your wife but I don't like you.

      We are all fans of the band and at the end of the day, so is Lilah. If we were to meet them, would we address them are Mr? Hi Mr Sambora, Mr Torres? Did Lilah say Mr Sambora when she met him or Mr Torres when she met Tico? She only said Mr Bryan but it came across as she didn't like David and so she was being snide in her Mr Bryan comment, as she has been doing to Jon too. In all of their encounters, she has given little digs and snide remarks to Jon from the beginning but then it's hidden behind, look at my scars.

      This is the same woman who offered Tony a blowjob when she first met him, in exchange for coming backstage to see how he works. She is not so innocent in all of this.

      Delete
    2. I'm just curious... Anon(s), do you KNOW anyone from the South? Because it's quite common to address someone as Mr. or Ms. in the routine course of the day - without a trace of smart ass. It's polite. Lilah isn't from Jersey or some other up-in-your-face place, nor is she the type to assume that she should take that kind of familiarity with a person unless they invite it.

      If you're just determined not to like Lilah, which REALLY seems to be the case, then my recommendation would be not to read the damn story. If you can't stand the female lead, you must despise the story too, so why waste your time and ours with your catty digs at the heroine??

      Delete
    3. Lilah has never, ever hidden behind her scars? She goes OUT OF HER WAY to down play them and she has said numerous times that she doesn't want pity, won't be a charity case etc..

      As far as how she addresses people. The man had her investigated and cornered her with the limited facts that he had about her in a very un-nice or gentlemanly way. Why shouldn't she address him FORMALLY, as one would address a stranger. He hasn't apologized. He hasn't made any VOLUNTARY friendly gestures.

      She and Dot had lunch they were friendly with each other. She was introduced to the other guys by Tony on a first name basis. Usually if someone introduces you using anothers first name, it is customary to address the person by the name given to you at introduction. I think the Mr. Bryan thing was just keeping him in check because of his over curiosity regarding her scars-not being rude, but trying to keep him at arms length.

      However, some of you seem to have very vivid imaginations and might just want to try your hand at a story all your own.

      --Amanda

      Delete
  5. “Stop,” Tony ordered with a gentle squeeze of her hand as they exited the elevator. She may not know what was going on in his head or his true ‘feelings’ for her, but she took pleasure in the way he always reached for her hand when they went out together. --

    So do I, I too like how he grabs her hand and they walk hand in hand. I notice in a few chapters, that he did that. Always like it.

    Jon, in my opinion was great in this chapter and not an ass. He let her talk, Lilah gave her side of the story and he didn't make any snide remarks. To me, he was just fine. It wasn't going to be hugs all around after one lunch but I saw it as a new beginning of sorts.

    “Yeah. I’m tired of butting heads with you. If Lilah Bennett makes you feel good, then… let her make you feel good. Just don’t let her rip your heart out, okay? Because that will piss me off and then she’ll find out just how much of an asshole I can really be.” --

    Jon, if only you said this from day one. For me, this was perfect. Really explained why Jon was acting as he had been acting. Those brothers together is perfect.

    Blushnscarlet, I am going to second what Jinx said and hopefully we do get some Jon/Dorothea sex. You touched on it in the previous chapter and even hinted at it too and so it will be nice just for one chapter. What I liked about WWBTF was how you did write the couple of Jon and Dorothea. They were a hot, passionate couple in that story (those two chapters were good) and you wrote that a married couple of 24 years could still be has hot and passionate as always. Not alot of writers can pull that off but you did. I do on the other hand understand that it's a Tony and Lilah story, so I won't hold it against you, if we don't.

    Lastly, Dorothea rules! she is the Queen of New Jersey and the queen of that organisation. She rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I DONT THINK TONY FEELS THE SAME WAY ABOUT LILAH AS LILAH DOES ABOUT TONY? I THINK TONY NEEDS TO TELL LILAH HOW HE FEELS ABOUT HER REALLY AND THEY NEED TO TALK ABOUT IT, I REALLY WANT TONY AND LILAH TO BE TOGETHER, BUT THEY NEED TO TALK ABOUT THEIR FEELINGS FIRST. JON IS STILL BEING A STUBBORN ASS ABOUT LILAH, LOVE THIS STORY, CANT WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Other things caught my attention in this chapter, not the Mr Bongiovi part!

    I will comment on it and just say my point of view about it. I see it as a catty remark to Jon and not out of respect. More of a I have to be civil with you but doesn't mean I like you. She likes Dorothea, Lilah knows that Dorothea likes her, that is why she was greeted by name.

    BUT having said that, I see nothing wrong in it and Jon is lucky that is all she said. If that is as bad as she gets, then go for it. He has not given her the benefit of the doubt, had a dectective look into her past and he came to conclusions without even talking to her. I would be pissed off too and greet him like that. So yes, she was being catty or snarky or snide, any way you want to call it but she had every right to be.

    Jon and Lilah are only there for one person and that is Tony. There love for him is the only common ground that they share. Both of them realise that if they want to make Tony happy and not have him caught in the middle, they have to meet somewhere and make this work. Lilah stands to lose more, in my opinion because at the end of the day, it's his brother who she is competing with (and then add on top, its JON BON JOVI!!!). She is holding her own pretty well going up against Jon.

    The last paragraph showed me at least that Jon is ready to turn the corner

    Just don’t let her rip your heart out, okay? Because that will piss me off and then she’ll find out just how much of an asshole I can really be

    -------

    That ripped my heart out.

    My concern is Lilah and how she is in love with Tony. Her heart is what worries me.

    ReplyDelete