A little off the beaten path, this Bon Jovi fan fiction features a lesser known Bongiovi - Tony. As always, no disrespect is intended to anyone affiliated with Bon Jovi or any of their family members. All content in this blog is a work of complete fiction.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013

64 - The Morning After


TO:  Morgan_Prince; aussie_angel
FROM:  MissLilahJane
August 1, 2011

Just a quick note from the airport in London, girls.  I knew you’d both want to know that I’m on the way home, but didn’t have time to send an email before getting on the plane in Lisbon.  Sorry about that.

I also knew you’d be wondering whether I chickened out of telling Tony.

I didn’t chicken out. 

And I’m still on my way back to Lexington, if that tells you anything. 

That’s really all the more I want to think about it right now.  My memories don’t need to be tainted with what might have been.  It was an idyllic month of July and I’ll always cherish it.

Now it’s time to shift gears and mentally prepare myself for laundry and ‘spring’ cleaning at the house.  The good news?  Your inboxes will once again be subjected to astonishingly regular (daily/hourly) installments of the Lilah Show.  :)

I’ll let you know when my last flight safely hits the ground in Kentucky.  Love y’all…

✧✧✧

“Welcome home, Mommy.”

Letting her computer case thud quietly next to her feet, Lilah wrapped her arms all the way around the lanky teenager who had come to collect her from the airport.  Sighing contentedly when he returned the hug with like enthusiasm, she stole a moment to soak in the closeness of her boy.  They may not talk every single day, and she may only see him a couple times a week, but he was hers and she loved the quasi-grungy man-child with all her heart.

“Thank you, Baby Bear,” she greeted with watery eyes as he pressed a quick, inconspicuous kiss to her temple.  Releasing him with a smile, she lovingly stroked a hand down the dimpled cheek that was currently scruffed by at least a week’s worth of whisker stubble.  “You sure are a sight for sore eyes.  I knew I missed you, but didn’t realize how much until this very minute.”

He grinned back at her, stooping to snag her laptop bag in his left hand before swinging around to hook his right arm over her shoulders.  “I missed you, too.  Did you have a good time?”

Lilah leaned into Andrew and looped a casual arm around his waist.  Knowing that the cargo handlers didn’t get in any hurry, they took their time ambling toward baggage claim.

“I had a great time, thank you.  How about you?  What’s going on your world?”

“Eh.  Yanno.  The usual.  Band practice, work, the occasional gig.  A whole lot of rotting my brain on the internet.”

She laughed, feeling the first inkling of peace since walking out of that Lisbon hotel room earlier today.   The familiar routine of an unflappable teenage boy was comforting beyond measure.  “It’s good to know some things never change.”

“Although…”  He pulled back, narrowed eyes peering at her from beneath the shaggy brown hair that always seemed to beg for a trim.  “I did get an interesting phone call today.”  

Finding a couple of seats within sight of the conveyor belt that would deliver her suitcase, Lilah collapsed into the plastic chair next to her son.  She crossed her legs and gave him a faint smile. 

“You did?  From who?”

“Some guy who wanted me to send a demo of our band,” he drawled, now vibrating with restrained excitement.  This guy must be more than the clerk at the second-hand music store. 

“Oh, honey, that’s great!” she enthused, rubbing an encouraging hand across his back.  Whether he and his friends made the ‘big time’ or not, she believed now was the perfect time in his life for Andrew to chase his dreams.  It was part of the reason she was glad he’d been without a girlfriend lately.  Distractions of the feminine persuasion tended to dim any dream that didn’t look good in a short skirt.  “How did he hear about you?”

“You.  At least I assume so, since he told me to tell you he said hi.”

Her forehead furrowed and she tipped her head to the side, visibly manifesting her confusion.  She hadn’t told anybody about the boys’ band other than Tony.   But, thinking back, she did remember a confrontation with Jon where Andrew’s name had come up.  After she’d unequivocally refused any handout on the boys’ behalf, the topic had never arisen again.

 “Who was it?”

“Richie Sambora.”

“What?”  Now she was really confused. 

Richie was there durin’ that ‘discussion’ with Jon.  And Dorothea.  Remember, Lilah Jane?

“You didn’t give him my number?”

“Sweetheart, I’d love to tell you I choreographed the whole thing, but I’m sorry.   You know I’m not the type to pimp you out.”

That probably made her a disgrace to the sanctity of motherhood.  It definitely took her out of the running for Stage Mother of the Year, but it’s just how she was.  Asking for favors or handouts wasn’t her style and, considering that he’d lived his entire life with her, Andrew surely realized that.

“Well, that’s what I thought was really weird,” he laughed.  “I just couldn’t picture you stalking Richie for me instead of yourself.” 

She lightly flicked his ear with a chastising frown.  “Smartass.  I did meet him several times, but I certainly didn’t ask for any favors or give him your phone number.”

“What?!  You met the guy you’ve had a fan girl crush on my whole life and I’m just now hearing about it?  I can’t believe you didn’t text the minute he looked at you!” He waggled a chastising finger in Lilah’s face.  “Bad Mommy!”

She rolled her eyes and carelessly swatted his finger away.  “Yeah, yeah, I know.  I suck.  That still doesn’t explain the how or why of his phone call.”

“Now that I think about it,” he mused thoughtfully, sliding his big, blue eyes to some distant point down toward the ticket counter.  “I’m pretty sure he said he got my number from some company.  There were letters.  I was a little shocked at who I was talking to, so I didn’t pay that much attention.  T…something J.  Mayyy-be?”

Not TBJ.  Surely not TBJ.

But it had to be.  That was the only thing that made sense. 

It happened at the Zurich show.  After the night on the bus, Lilah had collapsed at the hotel without charging her phone.  Tony had run into problems after the show, taking twice as long as usual and Lilah had decided to kill two birds with one stone.  While waiting for him to finish the post-show wrap, she’d asked to borrow his phone so that she could check in with Andrew, whom she hadn’t talked to for a couple of days. 

If he were so inclined to use it, or give it out, Tony had her son’s number in his phone.

Evidently he was so inclined.

Explaining that story to Andrew would entail her coming clean as to who she’d actually been stalking in Europe.  Tonight was not the time for that cleansing.

“I’m too tired to puzzle it out right now,” she begged off as the noisy conveyor belt kicked into gear.  “So you’re sendin’ Richie a demo, then?  Do you have his number so I can call and thank him?”

Mother and son both stood and drifted toward the luggage that was popping out of the wall a piece at a time.  “Do I look stupid to you?  Of course we’re sending it!  Zach and I are just trying to decide which one.  The call came in as Blocked so I don’t have his number.  But since we’re sending a digital file of the demo, I do have an email address ….”

✧✧✧

TO:  RSambo59
FROM:  MissLilahJane
August 2, 2011

Hi Richie!  This is Lilah Bennett, from the European leg of the tour.  Tony’s… friend/stalker/pain-in-the-ass?  Bluegrass?  I guess one of those descriptions will ring a bell for you.  :o)

I just got back to Kentucky late last night, and my son picked me up from the airport.  You can imagine how surprised I was to find out he had talked to you earlier in the day.  And that you requested a demo from his band. 

First of all, thank you.  It made for a memorable day in his life, but you were there when I talked to Jon about Andrew.  I had no intention of ‘using’ anyone affiliated with Bon Jovi to further my son’s fledgling attempt at a music career.  You really didn’t have to contact him, and I hope no one approached you to do so without my knowledge.

Speaking of which…  How DID you get Andrew’s contact information?  Or even find out his name?  I’m sure I never mentioned it.

Look at me, sounding like an ungrateful shrew, when that’s the furthest thing from the truth.  I’m grateful for the glimmer of professional attention you’ve thrown Andrew’s way.  EXTREMELY grateful.  Regardless of why you chose to seek him out, thank you.  Thank you so much.

Best wishes for the best of everything for you.  I’m sure you’ll be headed on vacation with that beautiful daughter of yours.  Enjoy, and take care of yourself.  Lots of women out there are devastated when you don’t. 

Sincerely,
Lilah

✧✧✧

 TO:  MissLilahJane
FROM:  RSambo59 
August 2, 2011

I’d rather talk than email.  Send me your phone #.


Lilah was tucked under the fluffy lime-green comforter, wearing nothing but a skimpy t-shirt when she got his reply via the email program on her phone. 

It was almost noon on a Tuesday.  She should be ashamed of her slothful ways. 

However, considering that she hadn’t gotten to bed until after two that morning, and that she’d been awake for umpteen hours before that, AND that she’d been forced to sleep alone for the first time in weeks, tossing and turning restlessly as a result…  Well, she didn’t feel the least bit guilty about her half-conscious butt still being in bed. 

Flopping over onto her side, she burrowed into the familiar mattress and tapped out the requested numbers, sending it with a wide yawn.  Her hand dropped to the bed, fingers still curled around the phone.

Welcome back to reality, Lilah Jane Bennett. 

That wasn’t entirely true, she argued with herself.  Her personal reality had never involved dashing off a quick email to Richie-freaking-Sambora.  Now, after she talked to him, and had that chat behind her, Lilah’s old reality may take center stage.  For this moment in time, she was still riding the coattails of the fairy tale. 

She had just drifted off to sleep and the Irish Enchanted Forest when her phone vibrated in her hand.  Jerking away with a soft swear, she squinted one eye at the screen to find a message indicating that the caller’s number was ‘Blocked’.

She flicked her thumb over the screen.  “Hello?”

“Hello, darlin’.”

Yeah, there was no mistaking that voice.  Lilah had heard him call a blue-million women “darlin’” over the last month.   Whether it was because he couldn’t remember names, or didn’t want to know them, she wasn’t sure, but that was definitely his favorite generic endearment.

“Richie.  How are you?”

“Glad to have this non-existent ass back on my own couch.  How about you?  Good trip?”

Just passing the time of day with Richie Sambora.  Sure, Lilah Jane.  THIS is reality.

“Fine, thank you.”

“Good… good.  So your boy is gonna send me the demo?”

Silently thanking him for keeping the conversation clicking along, she rubbed a hand over her forehead with a rueful smirk.  “Well, when I asked him that question, I believe his exact words were: ‘Do I look stupid to you?’.  So, I’m thinkin’ that’s a yes.  They’re just tryin’ to decide which one to send.”

“Excellent.  Tell him to send as many as he wants.  Very nice kid, by the way.  All kinds of polite and mannerly, just like his mama.”

“That’s always a relief to hear.  Thank you.  So…”

“So you want to know how I got hooked up with him,” he chuckled when she was hesitant to just blurt out the question foremost on her mind.  “Exactly the way you think I did.   TBJ rode to the airport with me yesterday and we were talking about you.  I mentioned that I should’ve gotten your kid’s name and number and Tony said he had both.  Simple as that.”

They were talkin’ about me?  How high school is it for me to ask what they were sayin’?

“It’s very sweet that you thought of Andrew, but please don’t put yourself out.”

“Darlin’, I like music and was curious.  That’s all.  I told Drew that I’m gonna give it a listen, but no promises beyond that.  I do this kinda thing all the time with aspiring musicians.”

There was really nothing else for Lilah to say.  He was a grown man, apparently doing exactly what he wanted to do.  All she could do was thank him and hope that Andrew wouldn’t get his hopes too high. 

She had just opened her mouth to voice her gratitude one more time when he interrupted with, “I don’t know what went down between you and TBJ, but you’re a sweetheart of a gal, Lilah.  I hope there’s one of those guys in Kentucky like you were talking about.  The ones that make Prince Charming look good.”

That vaguely specific enough for you, Lilah?  He rode with Tony, talked about me and he’s still wishing you luck finding a nice guy.  If you needed any extra confirmation, there it is.  It’s  not going to be Tony.

“Thanks Richie.  I’ll keep hopin’ you find a Jersey-rella.”

A raucous bark of laughter clattered over the phone line.  “What the fuck is a Jersey-rella?”

“Cinderella, Jersey-style.”  Dare she tell him those Hollywood-types weren’t doing him any favors?  No.  She didn’t know him well enough to be a buttinski.  “Isn’t that what all you Jersey Prince Charmin’s are lookin’ for?”

“I don’t know about all those other Jersey Prince Charmings, but this one wouldn’t mind.  I wouldn’t mind at all.”



9 comments:

  1. maybe Richie could be trying to get them back together? maybe?Please!? I guess I got read too many fairy tales as a kid. I think stories should end with they lived happily ever after. you know Tony and Lilah should be together.

    Jenny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. THANK YOU FOR SHARING THE FAIRY TALE DREAM! Are you listening Ms. Blush?????

      Delete
  2. I still believe in happy endings!
    I think Tony needs his time to realize that Lilah is the ONE for him, then he will find her and maybe she's giving him hell before all is hearts and flowers ;-)

    Sorry, but I really LOVE fairy tails :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree - Tony just needs a little time to miss Miss Lilah & maybe a little nudge (or a kick in the pants) to get him moving.

      And a Jersey-rella is needed for Richie, huh? Not exactly my style...but I can change. ;)

      Delete
  3. If "the other dark side" is not her Prince Charming, maybe she should try "the original dark side".

    P.S. : I love Lilah and I'd really like to read "the Lilah Show" (daily/hourly works for me).

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. FIRST OF ALL I LOVED THIS STORY, I HOPE RICHIE IS TRYING TO GET THEM BACK TOGETHER, RICHIE NEEDS A KENTUCKY GIRL LIKE LILAH|. CAN'T WAIT TO FIND OUT WHAT HAPPENS NEXT, I'LL SAY IT AGAIN I LOVE THIS STORY AND NEVER WANT IT TO END|

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, Lilah is home, and she better be hearing from Tony, or I'm gonna go postal on his ass. Or maybe Richie will do it for me.

    On a personal note, I'm so glad to hear that Richie is alive And communicating in this story, cause he is irritating me in real life. Okay, rant over.

    Has Tony called yet? Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://twitter.com/yoopergirl89/status/327437409685999617/photo/1

      Delete
  6. How Did I miss this..OMG!!...Wow that was great.....will be even greater when these 2 find their way back to each other...Please say they will find their way back to each other...I remember when Tony was just a blip in my Jovi world..geeesh...not anymore...I Luv your Tony...& your Lilah is just the right girl for him...
    Julie

    ReplyDelete